Last Updated on September 20, 2021 by ronnie
When it comes to FDM 3D desktop printers, Creality is one reliable name. The company launched its Ender series of 3D printers that are ruling the FDM 3D printer market. The successor of Ender 5 Plus is Creality Ender 6 with almost all the similar specs. Creality Ender 5 Plus is bigger in size compared to Ender 6 but slower in speed. Here’s a further probe into what else distinguishes these two?
Like every other gadget, when Creality launched a new model of the Ender series 3D printer, it kept most of the features of previous models. However, there are some significant changes that differentiate between Ender 5 plus and Ender 6.
The below headings are to distinguish between major specs.
Build, Volume, and Structure comparison of Ender 5 plus vs Ender 6
Ender 6 is the most recent release of 2020 whereas Ender 5 plus was the last release of 2019.
Ender 6 is a closed structure whereas the Ender 5 plus consists of a completely open structure. Both models have relatively different implications for heat and temperature management.
The material used
Both use FDM (fused deposition modeling) for printing. With filament thickness of 1.75 mm.
Ender 5 plus is relatively bigger with a volume of 350 x 350 x 400 mm and is recommended for large 3D objects printing. Creality Ender 6 is smaller in volume (250 x 250 x 400 mm) but much faster. A combination of both the printers can quicken the pace of work many folds.
The print bed for Ender 6 is made of carborundum glass whereas the print bed for Ender 5 Plus is made of tempered glass. Both reach the temperature of 100°C within 10 minutes. Ender 5 Plus’s print bed is only insulated from the center which results in uneven temperature distribution. Ender 6 has a BLTouch leveling sensor* that ensures accurate bed leveling every time before printing. Ender 5 plus need manual aid (use sheets at all 5 leveling points to adjust the nozzle height from the bed.)
Both the models use a Bowden extruder with a hot-end nozzle with a diameter of 0.4 mm.
Both prints with the same accuracy (apparently) 0.1 mm. However, We found Ender 6 to be far more accurate in terms of detailing and precision. Ender 5 plus does provide accuracy but for highly delicate projects and laser-sharp detailing we highly recommend Ender 6. You can also install both the printers for bigger projects.
Both prints a similar layer thickness of 0.1 to 0.4 mm. The material used in both the printers for printing (ABS; PLA; Wood; TPU; HIPS etc.) is similar.
Print speed max
Ender 5 plus is appreciated for volume and build capacity whereas Ender 6 is highly appreciated for speed. The mentioned speed of Ender 5 plus is 200 mm/s (realistic max. 80 mm/s). Ender 6 however prints at a rate of 150 mm/s. It is renowned for its speed and quicker output.
Nozzle and temperature
Ender 5 plus had three different nozzle sizes (0.2; 0.3; 0.4 mm) whereas Ender 6 offers 0.4 mm nozzle size and swift printing. Both prints at max. 110 °C print bed temperature and 260 °C extruder temperature.
Ender 5 plus and 6 functions over slightly different operating systems. Ender 6 operates on Windows 7, 8 and 10, MAC, Linux. Ender 5 plus works best with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, MAC, Linux.
In case of power failure, resume print function and filament sensor ensure neat and clean printing without any heaps of filament and bumps in the model.
Slicing software separates the 3D model into printable instructions. Hence right slicing software for the right printer model is important. Repetier-Host, Simplify 3D, Cura, Slic3r, etc. are recommended for Ender 6. And since model 6 is an advanced version 5 Plus, similar software is used for Ender 5 plus.
Power supply input
Ender 6 operates at 115V/230V whereas Ender 5 plus can need 100V/230V. Power supply output remains the same ( DC 24V/12A)
Connectivity/ storage and data transfer
Creality Ender 6 is connected through an SD memory card that is part of the package. Ender 5 plus gets connected by an SD memory card, as well as the web interface. Ender 6 offers a 4.3 inches LCD display. Ender 5 plus was a monochrome 4.3 inches screen display for command. The only drawback is, none of the printers have a WLAN interface.
Ender 6 stands 495 x 495 x 650 mm but weights approx. 22 kg. It’s smaller in size but faster. Ender 5 plus stands larger and is perfect for bigger projects. The dimensions of Ender 5 Plus are 632 x 666 x 619 mm and it weighs about 18Kg.
That being said, for the specs and key performance indicators, now we can compare the usability and ease of operations with both the 3D printers.
Packaging and shipment
- Regardless of the model you order, Creality sends a complete package with tools to mount, assemble, operate, and data flow (storage media for transferring and printing data).
- Mainly, the Allen key is sufficient enough for assembly and it’s added in the tool kit so you don’t need to open your toolbox. Every minute accessory such as wire holders, or clips, etc. Every single tool required for assembly is already in the package.
Users of the Ender 5 Pls model know that it comes in a pre-assembled kit. Hence, it takes barely 15 minutes and a slight skillset to assemble the printer and make it usable.
However, a maximum of 45 minutes to an hour is required for the complete assembly of Ender 6. It’s not packed as a pre-assembled kit. Ender 6 is more of a build from the scratch game. Although both the printers can be assembled independently, a helper (especially for upper frames) would save you from any slip or mishandling.
Assemble like a pro with pro tips:
The best thing about purchasing creality Ender is the packaging and assembly tool kit. The aluminum frame and all the components are layered and wrapped in foam. The sturdy foam packaging provides protection from damage during shipments.
Creality Ender 5 Plus assembly tips:
- Auto Bed Leveling Sensor Kit: You may receive the BL Touch...
- Equipped with Two Lead Screws on Z Axis: The hot bed was...
- Dual Y Axis Motors: Y axis dual shaft motor and down-shift Z...
- The filament holder is supposed to stay within the frame. But if your printer runs out of filament during printing and the bed is leveled with the filament holder, it becomes a whole re-engineer of the frame hustle. In order to avoid such an event and save time, flip the holder the other way when assembling so it’s outside the frame.
- Once your spool holder is assembled and absolutely perpendicular to the frame, push the holder a little upward and tilt it so when the spool is spinning, it won’t fall out, leaving the holder.
- Wire management: cables of Ender 5 plus are very calculated and not too much of a mess. However, you want to keep them assembled in a way that it does not create additional burden from the frame and the motors. Additional weight might affect the performance of the nozzle. Creality provider with clips and hooks to manage the cables properly.
- Press the clip and take out the Bowden tube from the extruder. Scratch it with the sandpaper slightly so the friction will help it hold firmly. Insert it back and put the blue clip-on.
Creality 6 Ender
- Ender-6 with a new look, integrated all metal chamber body...
- Ender-6 is custom-built with ultra-silent Germany-imported...
- Large printing size (250*250*400mm) can meet more of your...
- Creality ender 6 is a closed frame with transparent acrylic panels at the sides and at the rear. And a beautiful front door that is also transparent. The glass material does attract dust so you’ll need to regularly clean it up. But it does save the rest of the setup from the dust particles. That’s a plus!
- Ender 6 has blue anodized corners that add up to the sturdiness of the frame and also make it look advanced. The frame of Ender 5 plus stands on its own whereas Ender 6 is supported by the additional covers.
- Ender 6 can be installed by one person if you have skilled hands around tools. Only if this is the first time you’re doing it, we recommend you ask for help.
- Accessories you get with Ender 6
- 500g spool of white PLA filament
- Spool holder
- PTFE tube spacers
- Spare nozzles
- Spare PTFE couplers
- Needle for nozzle clogs
- USB Card Reader with 8GB SD Card
- Bag of screws and wires
- Hex wrenches
- Zip ties
- Power cable
Features that make Ender 6 different from previous versions
Silent operation, Filament run sensor, printing resume functions are available. Mesh Filter is used underneath the Ender 6 to protect it from dust. The printer has all the wiring on its back. This system gives good protection along with a neat and tidy look as no wire is visible at the top side.
If the wire gets heated it is terminated in a JST connector whereas the second wire loom terminates with a 24-pin to ATX connector. That goes into the breakout board which is connected to other electronics, like fans, heater and thermistor, etc.
Creality Ender 6 vs Ender 5 Plus Review and comparison
Creality Ender 6 and 5 plus both have similarities and differences and based on that they have their own pros and cons. However, both the printers are relatively affordable in terms of cost. Ender 5 plus is offering automatic bed leveling. Ender 6 is for small, intricate 3D modeling, Projects with ultra detailing and smaller in size.
Ender 6 has the power supply, display, and motherboard built within the base of the printer. Same components are installed in T-slot rails of 5 plus. Upgrades in Ender 5 plus are relatively easy as compared to 6 which need to lay down completely for upgrades.
Ender 6 is relatively tidier and wiring is very carefully managed. On your desktop, you don’t have to stumble across wires while working, which is relatively manageable with Ender 5plus too. However, both printers vary in terms of weight and size. But the features and overall operations of both the printers remain the same.
Conclusion and suggestions
Users with reality Ender 5 Plus would rather stick to it instead of replacing it with Creality Ender 6. Ender 6 is best for fast printing but is relatively smaller in size.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How fast can the Ender 5 Plus print?
On paper print speed of Ender 5 plus is 22 mm/s. However, for 3D model printing with top-notch quality, the speed reduces to 80 mm/s.
What is special about Ender 6 and Ender 5 Plus?
Ender 5 plus is larger in size and it does not limit your print capacity or project size. You can literally print a life size superhero bodysuit (divided in parts) or larger projects with ease and precision. Speed is the main reason behind its upgrade. Ender 6 is slightly small in size but faster in printing.