Last Updated on December 4, 2021 by ronnie
As a professional architect or a student of architecture, You’re juggling multiple tools and devices. These resources help you visualize your ideas and present them further. While using the software that helps you design, you need a very efficient and cutting-edge quality printer to print those designs. A good printer matches the speed of your work, produces vivid images, dried printouts (not smudged ink), and durability.
Choosing the best printer for architectural drawings could be a little challenging considering the range of products available in the market. We’ve taken hours of researching and experiencing products to shortlist the best 11×17 printer for architects.
The size we chose is the most convenient one when it comes to routine use and good quality. All our options share the same size but vary in features so you could choose as per your preference.
Our Favorite 11×17 Printers for Architects
9 Best 11×17 Printer for Architects 2022 Reviewed
1.Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Inkjet Photo Printer-Best overall
- Maximum 4800x2400 dpi FINE printhead technology
- Photo Lab quality 11-inchx14-inch color photo in...
- Support for fine art paper up to 13"x19" with two separate...
Canon is a trusted name in the market and much experienced. The PIXMA Pro9000 comes with a vast range of options and accessories that help you become efficient with your projects. We’ve listed below the perks you can enjoy with a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 beside you.
● The mesmerizing picture quality is the result of FINE (Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering) showering 4800 x 1200 dots per inch. The image printed by subtly fired ink/color droplets (as small as 2 picoliters) the image produced is serene and hyper-realistic.
● Canon PIXMA Pro9000 comes with all the necessary components and much more. It has a documents kit, a safety environment sheet, installation and cross-sells sheet, photoshop elements, eight rich color ink tanks, and a user guide along with a guaranty card.
● Canon lately introduced genuine canon dye-based ink “ChromaLife100 system” that is fade-resistant and provides a sharp and clear print without any blur or vague spots on the paper.
● It has an “auto photo-fix” adjustment mode that improves the picture quality before printing. If the light was dim while taking the pictures or the faces were not clear, this auto adjustment feature clears the pictures, brightens up the faces, and previews a better result. You can still edit the picture as per your requirement, before printing.
● The printer adjusts the picture to the page and produces a borderless, glossy print of 13 x 19 inches.
● It’s quiet and prints without any sound.
● You don’t have to depend on the software because the cartridge is transparent so you can keep track of it.
● The printhead can be removed easily so if there’s any glitch, you can simply replace it instead of sticking with a broken printer.
Canon PIXMA is the best 11×17 printer for architects. It comes with all the necessary and additional components and sheets. With Canon PIXMA on your desktop, your work knows no limitations. For a professional architect, it’s a pack that’ll keep your work smooth. For a student, it’s a long-term investment.
2.Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Wide- Best small scale printer
Epson meets its promise to their customer by delivering the best 11×17 printer. We found that Epson stylus 1400 comes cordless with a CD/DVD compound so you could work on your portfolio, print a personalized CD/ DVD cover with the project’s title and details on it, and save it for the proposals/portfolio.
The Ink is rich in pigments, so the picture doesn’t fade for a very long time. The ultra-high quality of the print meets the Epson tagline “Imagination meets innovation.”
● The printer is programmed to adjust picture quality to the high definition so you don’t have to do it manually. Lightening adjustments are made before printing to provide high definition.
● The print is water-proof and provides a smudge-free image. The best part is, Your printout does not get scratched easily. The print quality and ink embedded on the page provide a long-lasting print to add to your portfolio for the long term.
● The printer uses Claria Ink which provides a vivid image. Giving your work the finish it deserves on paper.
● The advanced MicroPiezo printhead technology ensures ultra-high-definition print out.
● It’s a wireless printer that can also connect to a Laptop, iPhone/ other pocket devices, or USB, giving you tons of ease.
● Printout sustains image quality four times longer than regular printouts.
● Print on anything you want with less than 10 mil thickness, without worrying about sticking to one type of paper.
● Includes bundled adobe photoshop options that enrich your experience.
● Carriage is large if you’re doing CAD or even limited volume posters.
● Connects with wifi and is wireless. So you can command a printout from your bed or launch. Cool!!
Epson is offering more than just paper. You can upgrade your work a little more with its CD/DVD printing. An additional speck always gives you the edge, plus it’s wireless and very liquid in use. It flows with you. You are not bound to a desk while working.
Epson is exceptionally good with quality. However, we found that we had to keep adjusting the software setting as you have various projects to print; it’s programmed to keep going on the default setting.
3.HP Deskjet 9800 Wide Format Color Printer – Best printer for architecture students
HP Deskjet 9800 is one of the best 11×17 printers for architects because of its versatility. It not only prints on A3 paper but also banner sheets and Gloss sheets. And the variety in the print size and types goes on. Its drawback is wire connectivity, but you can use USB for command.
It prints 30 black and white pages per minute and 20 colored pages per minute, which is a reasonably good speed. Its capacity is 5000 pages per month which is way too much for an individual user but reasonable for a small team. Print up to the size of 13×19 inches, with or without border.
● Color optimization goes up to 4800 droplets per inch. It produces a very good quality of image, both colored and black and white.
● Print a range of products such as brochures, pamphlets, newsletters, and snapshots or photographs.
● Printing speed is 30 ppm for monochromic prints and 20 ppm for colored printouts. Compared to many others in the list, we consider it actually a very good speed.
● Can connect through USB or parallel cord.
● Best 11×17 printer supported by Mac, Linux, and UNIX.
HP is a trusted name among DIYers and professionals. You can choose a general-purpose 11×17 printer for architects, especially if you want an economical, long-lasting printer. It can print on a variety of papers which is a plus point. Its printing speed is excellent.
3.HP K8600 Office Jet Pro-best 11×17 color inkjet printer
We experienced the HP K8600 OfficeJet pro for its performance and found it the best 11×17 color inkjet printer. The color cartridges are not only cheap but also separate from each other. So In case one of the colors in the pallet (it uses four colors instead of six) is overused, it doesn’t mean you need to replace the entire cartridge.
It is super fast, even when it is in draft mode, and prints good quality pictures. However, we found it a little challenging to adjust the page size.
● Print 6250 pages per month which are very efficient
● Can print on both sides of the page
● Weighs only 27 pounds, very easy to install.
● Operate through wire or USB
● It prints 35 black pages ppm which makes it efficient with printing speed.
● Prints 15 color pages per minute.
● It’s a single-function printer.
● Printing size varies from A3 to smaller but can be a little hazardous to adjust the size
● Print with or without borders
● Can operate on Macbook or Linux
● Uses thermal inkjet technology for quality color prints.
● The box comes with a software CD, USB Cable, power cord, ink cartridges, an instruction manual, and an installation guide.
K8600 is the most pocket-friendly printer. Its running cost will not add up to your liabilities like other printers. Its printing speed is efficient and picture quality marvelous. It is an excellent product to rely upon. For routine printing and conventional tasks, it’s smooth.
4.Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Ink Jet Printer- best architectural printer
- Up to 5,760 x 1,440 optimized dpi resolution
- 4-by-6-inch photos as fast as 42 seconds, 11-by-14 as fast...
- Prints directly onto inkjet-printable CDs and DVDs
Epson produces the best 11×17 printer for architects that can produce a print on a gloss sheet or matte-finish. The resolution is ultra-rich with 5760 x 1440 droplets per inch. It is comparatively the highest resolution you can achieve through Epson Stylus Photo R1800.
Epson has some attachment with CDs as R1800 can also print on the CD/DVD. It operates through a power cord and comes with an instruction manual, software for the printer, CD insert, single sheet guide, CD/DVD tray, matte sheet support, roll-paper holder, and IEEE1394 cable.
During our experience, we found that the printing speed is slightly compromised but for a good reason. The ink embedded in the material is showered at 5760 x 1440 dpi, ultra-rich, and very high. In terms of quality, it’s the best 11×17 printer you can have.
● Prints with extremely rich photo quality. Brilliant for projects with minute details and demands very high resolution.
● Prints at the speed of 42 seconds per 4 x 6 inches image and almost 1 minute 51 seconds for an 11 x 14 inches printout. The eight-colored ink cartridge powered by Ultrachrome high-gloss ink produces hyper-realistic pictures.
● The black cartridge is designed for both matte and glossy finish on the page, so you can choose the one that gives the results you desire.
● The pigment base is self-sustaining and does not let the picture fade with time.
● The cartridge does not go empty quickly.
● The software is easy to install and comes with a user manual.
If you’re looking for more than regular, Stylus is the best 11×17 printer to go for. It offers a glossy and matte finish, has extra good dpi capacity, and gives you an ultra-high finish. Precisely for commercial projects, it is the best printer for architectural work. It’ll add a little to your liabilities but will add a lot to the revenue too.
5.Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000-Best 11×17 laser printer
- Epson printing system is designed to be used exclusively...
- Professional ultra HD photo quality get brilliant border...
- Individual 6 color Claria photo HD ink includes red and gray...
Epson Expression is an entirely professional printer in the category of best 11×17 laser printers with excellent delivery. This architectural printer has two more color pallets in its cartridge (Grey and Red) and previous Cyan, Black, Magenta, and Yellow.
This addition offers excellent and long-lasting quality. As we choose all the best 11x 17 printers, this one also prints at the standard size of 13 x 19 inches. The only reservation is with its complementary products; we cannot use any other cartridge other than Epson cartridges.
● A 50 sheet rear tray can handle paper sizes from 4×6 to 13×19 inches.
● The quality of the print is professional and helps define your projects as desired.
● Prints at a sound of 49 decibels
● Print A3 sheet, but is thirty percent smaller in size compared to the previous model.
● The front tray can handle a bundle of two hundred sheets, and Epson Expression prints on both sides of the paper if needed.
It is rich in color pallets and very space smart. It’s a tiny beast that performs equally well yet does not bother consuming too much volume. Being wireless makes it easy to operate from any corner of your studio/room/office. It’s all about convenience and efficiency.
6.HP Color Laserjet Enterprise M751n Printer-Best multipurpose printer
- PREMIUM, STREAMLINED QUALITY – Print professional-quality...
- BUILT FOR MAXIMUM PRODUCTIVITY – This HP Color LaserJet...
- THE WORLD'S MOST SECURE PRINTING – Your laser printer has...
HP is a reliable name for gadgets, and M75n is proven the best 11 X17 printers for architects. We found that Enterprise M751n is an excellent printer for multi-purpose professional jobs. It has a speed of 40 pages per minute which makes it reliable for heavy jobs.
Furthermore, it’s duplexing, which means you can print on both sides of the paper at once. You can print catalogs or pamphlets or any commercial documents other than just drawings.
● HP understands the importance of security and how malware attacks can threaten your work. This printer has about 200 security features installed.
● The dimensions (21.89 x 23.19 x 15.71 inches) are rather compact and it consumes less space than other flat printers.
● HP understands printers and that’s why it does not compromise on the quality of a product.
● Weighs about 90 pounds which makes it slightly heavy compared to all the other products we have enlisted.
● The recommended print volume for a month is 40,000 pages which is exceptionally good for an industrial job.
● The display screen is a 2.7″ color LCD screen which is optimal
● Connects through ethernet cable
● The input capacity of sheets is 650 sheets and output capacity goes to 250 sheets.
We found Laserjet M751, a very commercial-purpose printer. It has amazed with its printing capacity and safety features to a number of users all around the world. You can work on your intellectual projects and print them without worrying about safety concerns.
7.HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 One-stop solution-Best wide format printer
- Main functions of this all-in-one wide-format printer: copy,...
- The power of your printer in the palm of your hand: The HP...
- Up to 50% less cost per page than color lasers with fast...
HP Officejet Pro 7740 is not only one of Best 11×17 printers for architects but also offers scanning, fax and copy machine facilities.
This jackpot printer can also connect with various devices and ports such as USB, Wi-Fi, and ethernet cable. Furthermore, the printer offers duplex printing, with an automatic document feeder to facilitate ease of use.
Another amazing feature is its compatibility with your smart devices for scanning and printing accordingly. We have explained a comprehensive list of features in the section below.
● It has two paper trays, each carrying 250 sheets.
● Its functions include fax, copy, scan, wide-format printing up to 11×17 inches, AirPrint, color touchscreen,2-sided duplex printing, automatic document feeder, and wireless printing.
● The mobile application with the printer can help you remotely set the printer, scan documents from your phone, download from google docs etc. You can also order ink or toner through a mobile app.
● Reduced printing cost up to 50% and print at a speed of 22 pages per minute.
● Support paper size from 3×5 to 11.7×17 inches.
JetPro 7740 is an all-in-one package for office use and individuals; It’s significantly cost-effective. One gadget that serves all the documentation-related work. So, we found it an intelligent choice.
8.Canon Pixma iX6520 Inkjet Printer
- Compatible with Individual/Combo CLI-226 Ink Tanks (Cyan,...
- Print amazing 4" x 6" borderless photos in approximately 37...
- The new Full HD Movie Print turns your favorite HD movie...
Canon iX6520 is one of the best 11×17 printers. It’s lightweight (16 pounds), easy to adjust, and portable. Like the rest of the 11×17 printers, it also prints as large as 13×19 inches. The high-resolution pictures result from a resolution of 9600 x 2400 droplets per inch powered by the ChromaLife 100+ system of Canon.
Canon provides high-quality black pigments and dye-based colors for a high-definition print. The ability to print from pictures and snipped scenes from high-definition videos makes it the best 11×17 printer for architects. It takes around 37 seconds to print a 4” x 6” inch image.
● Canon has launched the Auto-fix feature in its printers, and iX6520 has it too. So users can leave the light and quality adjustments to the printer.
● When run out of one color from the cartridge. Do not need to replace the entire cartridge, just switch the one that ran out.
● Print borderless (full page with ultra resolution) and also with an order.
● The printer can help improve your work and design through a website exclusively (With solution templates)serving Canon printers.
● Dimensions (11.8 x 21.7 x 6.3 inches) are space smart. It’s easy to adjust in a small space or on the table.
Powered by the ChromaLife 100+ system of Canon, we found the CanonPIXMA iX6520 very lightweight yet competitive. The productivity of this machine is stunning and promising. You can improvise the print quality with the help of its customizing website. For individuals, it is a smart choice.
9.Workforce WF-7710-Best wide format all in one printer
- Storage Dimensions: 22.3" W x 19.1" D x 13.4" H
- Epson all-in-one printer can print, scan, copy and fax
- PrecisionCore technology lets you create borderless prints...
Epson introduced the best 11×17 printer, Workforce WF-7710. It is a sublimation printer that is perfect for printing on non-paper materials too. You can use this to print on different materials. Not, it’s not something that only works on pages; you can have the prints on tee shirts, envelopes, diary covers, pamphlets, etc., and do some fantastic marketing. It also happens to be an excellent architectural printer that can draw some excellent printouts.
The reason it is more favored is because of its eco-friendly design. It consumes less electricity and operates with minimum waste.
● The workforce can do printing, scanning, faxes, and copies. It is an all-in-one printer with an extended capacity.
● It is slightly heavy (weighs 40.8 pounds) with rich dimensions (22.3″ W x 19.1″ D x 13.4″ H)
● Enjoy wireless printing from your Android, Mac, iPad, or iPhone.
● Print duplex at a speed of 8.7 ppm in black and white and 6 ppm in color images.
● The color touch screen is 4.3 inches, which is nearly a small mobile screen that allows smooth commands.
Since it’s a sublimation printer that offers multi-tasking, it belongs to the user who deals with various materials daily. You can fax, scan, and share your designs with your employer/ client/ customers before printing. It comes with a lot of options that’ll increase your productivity and give you an edge.
Top 11×17 Printer for Architects Buying Guide
We’ve presented various options, and many belong to the same manufacturer. So it could be confusing to choose the best 11×17 printer for yourself. Here’s how we can help you find the product that’ll fulfill your needs.
What do I do??
Are you a student, a professional (what field to be exact), a workshop owner, A store owner, An entrepreneur? Just knowing your profession helps you a lot with identifying your needs.
Why do I need what I need?
Do you need to print your assignments, Your projects, or other people’s portfolios? Or do you want to do some creative work or display some art? We chose the Best 11×17 printers for architects, and the list has options that can fit your needs.
Method to Use an 11×17 printer
- Choose and open the desired file.
- Click on the left corner on the “File” button
- Select the “Print” button from the list
- Click “Properties.”
- Click the “Preferences” button, to choose the “Paper/Quality”.
- Click the drop-down menu and select “11×17.”
- Click “OK,”
- And then click on the “Print” button.
Some Commonly Asked Questions Are Explained Below
Is there another name for 11×17 paper?
Depending upon the size of paper a printer can treat, it has different names that help. For example, A Letter format is 8.5 x 11 inches, a Legal document is 8.5 x 14 inches, A Ledger/Tabloid is 11 x 17 inches, and an Executive sheet is 7 x 10 inches.
Should I buy a large format printer?
You can always trim the extra paper or choose to put a smaller format. The printers we enlisted had almost the option. The format starts as small as 4×6 inches and goes up to 11×17 inches. Why limit yourself when you can have multiple options.
Is 11×17 the same as 17×11?
No! 11X17 is tabloid size and 17 x 11 paper is a ledger size paper. They’re not the same.
What size is 11×17 printing?
It’s generally called A3 size which is bigger than A4 paper that regular printers use. 11×17 inches is the size of 279 × 432 mm.
Is A4 the same as 11×17?
No! A4 is 8.5 x 11 inches and A3 is 11×17 inches (larger than A4).